Most important skills for a Scrum Master
- Servant Leader – Must be able to garner respect from his/her team
- Communicative and social – Must be able to communicate well with people
- Persistent and Assertive – Must be able to ensure Agile/Scrum concepts and principles are applied correctly and make sure team understands these values [especially important for new teams].
- Learning and Continues improvement – Must continually be learning new tools and techniques to manage oneself and a team. Apply new practices in daily work.
- Conflict resolution – Must be able to facilitate discussion and facilitate alternatives or different approaches
- No command and control attitude – Must strive to make a team self-organized
- Transparent – Must be seeking for open and honest atmosphere in a team and in a company
- Understand basic fundamentals of iterative development
- Understand other processes and methodologies and can speak intelligently about them and leverage other techniques to provide value to a team/enterprise
- Understand basic fundamentals of software development processes and procedures
- Understand incremental delivery and the value of metrics
- Understand backlog tracking, burn down metrics, velocity, and task definition
- Familiarity with common Agile practices, service-oriented environments, and better development practices
- Understand technical background to get better understand what team is doing [optional, but can be very beneficial]